Ember's Shadows

The Moodier Side of the World Around Us -- Art, Music, Poetry, Interesting People & Places, Reflections, Connections, Isolation, Anxiety, Expanses, and Infinity.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Musical Influences -- under construction

For everyone who wanted to know about my early musical influences that led me to playing bass and wanting to start a band, this is a good place to look. If you did not grow up listening to these bands, then me trying to describe them with words would be pretty useless. The sites below have soundclips.

As with most attempts at musical categorization, I do not agree with everything said on these sites and their discriptions do not always say very much, but they give it a good try and have lists of bands that look like sublists from my record collection, so they are worth checking out. Most of these links are to various sections of Allmusic.com:

1960s garage bands (and the Byrds and the Monkees)
proto-punk
punk, punk, and more punk
post-punk & 1980s college radio
goth
"neo-psychedelia"
1980s ska

The music that inspired me was arty, political, experimental, painful, DIY, minimal, moody, jangly, noisy, and fast.

This is not a definitive list of music I like -- it's a list of many of the sounds that made me want to start a band.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home