Ember's Shadows

The Moodier Side of the World Around Us -- Art, Music, Poetry, Interesting People & Places, Reflections, Connections, Isolation, Anxiety, Expanses, and Infinity.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

7021 Hollywood Boulevard (Between La Brea & Highland)

Rodney was my hero. First, he was a huge supporter/friend of my favorite childhood band, The Monkees (he even appeared on their show, albeit as a stand in for Davy). Then, as I got older, he brought all the best bands into my bedroom every Sunday night whether I was old enough to go see them in the clubs or not. He had the best radio show ever - on KROQ in LA. He was the first to play The Ramones, The Cure, The Go-Go's, The Smiths, X, Adam Ant, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Teenage Fanclub, Echo & The Bunnymen, and almost every other band I ever cared about growing up. When I was about to move away from LA, I called Rodney on the phone just to tell him how great he was and how much I was going to miss his show. It's a good thing he didn't put me on the air because I actually cried on the phone. He was so sweet -- he offered to send me a T-shirt, and recommended that I ask my friends to tape record his show for me and send me the tapes. That was cool, and I still have the shirt.

Now Rodney is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. And not just any star in any location -- he'll be between La Brea & Highland: a highly trafficked area, with good parking and lots of good reasons to be there aside from visiting the star. So there will be no excuse for not checking it out. I only wish I didn't have to teach on the day they will present him with it -- I would really love to be there!

Congratulations, Rodney Bingenheimer. Now you will forever be amongst the stars!

Go see the ceremony if you can:
Friday, March 9th, 2007, 11:30am,
7021 Hollywood Boulevard (Between La Brea & Highland)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home